Saturday, March 5, 2011

My major- Public Health

Hello readers!

I wanted to give a better explanation of my major at school and why I chose to invest in this route. As mentioned in my "about me" page, I have serious interest in all things related to nutrition, fitness, and general well-being. This not only includes the physical aspects, but the mental part as well.

I also discuss in my "about me" page, is the fact that I am recovering from years of obsessive, disordered eating habits that have seriously corrupted my life. I am willing to be public about this because I feel dicussing and sharing it with others is another part of the healing process. If anyone is reading this, I would love to hear if you are struggling with possible eating issues as well! I am going to dedicate another post to how this issue developed and the ways I am working through it.

I am mentioning the disordered eating now because it has a lot to do with my passion for Public Health. As much as I would like to claim I above media influence, it is say to say magazines, shows, pictures, etc, have a lot to do with why I have irrational thoughts concerning eating, fitness and my body. I do understand that these photos are often quite photo shopped, yet there is still some part of me that works toward looking like them. I'm talkin Victoria's Secret models here, just got the bathing suit issue in the mail, curses!

In addition, even health magazines that promote "women power," can be triggering- Shape, Women's Fitness, Self, that have monthly articles claiming the best diet ever, the fastest way to drop pounds, fitness and workout tips to mold your body into something a man would love to see, and so many more.

Public Health is a broad subject and along with focusing on nutrition, I am also studying advertising and how it influences decisions and behaviors we partake in. I am taking a few communication classes right now that have certainly opened my eyes to the power of advertising. On this blog, I plan to bring post articles involving advertising, and other Public Health issues every so often. I hope they will be interesting enough to discuss!

Question for anyone reading this, even if you feel you are above media influence, do you think there is even a small part of you that reads certain articles, sees pictures, etc, that play a role in behaviors you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment